Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Oscars?

Did anyone watch the Oscars?

I didn't. From a glove perspective, there's not much reason to these days. It seems gloves are confined to "classic" films, or anything that depicts the 50s or earlier. Also popular in fashion magazine ads.

I wonder what it would take for a Hollywood super star to wear gloves to the Oscars? Do they even wear gloves at all anymore?

Usually after the Oscars I'd go through the red carpet shots to see who might have been wearing gloves that I missed while watching, but that's never these days.

I wonder why women don't anymore. Is it seemed as "demeaning"? or "repressive" or is it some kind of symbol I don't get? I am genuinely curious.

Maybe it's like heels and hosiery that they're just "the old way" and times are changing.

hmmm, dunno....

2 Comments:

Blogger Xavier O. said...

Did you still watch the Oscars this year? I've succeeded to spot one gloved woman!!!

I give you the link of the video where we see it (we are lucky because this video also shows the performance about the musicals, where beyonce and vanessa hudgens and amanda seyfield wear gloves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IbddqXC7A

You have to pause the video at sthg like 0:30 or 0:32. It's the first woman on the left, in the row behind Meryl Streep. Are you able to recognize this woman and if so tell me who she is?

February 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi - just found your blog...

I'm afraid the big problem with gloves, at least where I live in the UK, is that most people these days see them as purely something to keep your hands warm. As a true fashion accessory, they are now only warn by a small fashion conscious elite. Being part of this elite is nice as it distinguishes you from the crowd and you can *always* spot other members :-) But we do despair too at the appalling fashion sense of everyone else. And don't get us started on woollies!

April 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home